Hey Gang (of 5)!
So here’s a quick update since it’s been a while since my last major posting spree – which I believe was in Istanbul. I have many an update that’s ready to fly out, but no time to get it online. Here’s the quick version:
- Night Train to Sofia, Bulgaria
- Night Train to Bucharest, Romania
- Extended stay in Romania across multiple hosts in Bucharest, all for positive reasons 🙂
- A few nights in the mountains of Transylvania
- Night Train to Moldova, and a day between Chisanau and Tiraspol
- Night Train to Kiev – fun times with the five-oh at the border
- Several fun days in Kiev with Dylan and Roman, then a night train to Moscow
- Illegal times in Moscow
- TranSiberian Railway – not the Orchestra
- 88 hours later, arrival in Irkutsk
- Trip to Lake Baikal
So there’s been quite a bit of adventuring, and down time if there was a computer to type on during the train ride, but not so much time with the internet. Right now I’m on a dial up connection (remember the noise that sounds like two fax machines making love?) in my 5th hostel of the trip. Get this though: the dial up connection uses an internet ‘phone’ calling card to connect.
More on that later. I’ve got some postcards to procure, a ticket to pickup, and a day and a half of trains to ride to get down to my destination next: Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia.